About five years ago, a boy slid a sterling silver cubic zirconia ring on the ring finger of my left hand and said jokingly: "What I've put there, you don't remove!" That was his idea of a proposal. Excited at the prospect of spending my life with him, I accepted the ring that I disliked from the moment I opened the Galaxy box. My heart overflowing with joy, I immediately went about showing off my ring to all my friends and changing my Facebook relationship status to 'Engaged.' Unfortunately, that was where everything ended.
Five years later and what do you find? Well, firstly the starry-eyed twenty-six year old girl has been replaced by a 31-year-old woman with dull eyes; the dreams she dreamed about five years prior left in ruins by the passing time. She no longer wears the ring he had slid onto her finger so many years ago. The silver ring, along with the promises that were implied, lies forgotten at the back of his clothes cupboard.
The boy, however, is still there and merry as a clown; still very much in love with the starry-eyed girl who is a starry-eyed girl no longer. The wendy-house in the backyard of his aunt's house has also remain unchanged along with the non-existing financial situation.
And the woman-child finds herself wondering: How did things become so wrong?
No comments:
Post a Comment